“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” Dr Seuss
We aim to deliver a high quality English curriculum that gives children the best possible opportunities to become confident, literate, successful members of society. The study of English develops children’s ability to listen, speak, read and write for a wide range of purposes. Children are enabled to express themselves creatively and imaginatively as they become enthusiastic and critical readers and authors. Children will experience many quality, engaging texts that stimulate writing, delivered by teachers with excellent subject knowledge and have high expectations of all children. We also teach phonics to enable all children to become successful in reading, spelling and writing. Because Literacy is central to children’s intellectual, emotional and social development, it has an essential role across the curriculum and helps pupils’ learning to be coherent and progressive.
Pupils at Westbury CofE Junior School will leave Year 6:
- with a love of reading and a desire to read for enjoyment
- Confident orators using a wide range of vocabulary
- reading and writing with confidence, fluency and understanding, using a range of independent strategies to take responsibility for their own learning including self-monitoring and correcting their own errors
- effective, competent communicators and good listeners
- expressing opinions, articulating feelings and formulating responses to a range of texts both fiction and non-fiction
- confident, independent readers and able to read aloud with expression and clarity
- using their developing creativity, imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness
- able to write with an ever expanding vocabulary, correct grammar and to punctuate their work effectively
- able to write in response to a variety of stimuli across the curriculum
- having developed a neat, legible joined handwriting style
- having developed as a confident, independent speller
Click on the links below to see the writing curriculum for each year group.
WJS English Long Term Planning Year 6 2023-24
WJS English Long Term Planning Year 5 2023-24
WJS English Long Term Planning Year 4 2023-24
WJS English Long Term Planning Year 3 2023-24
At WJS, we take pride in celebrating a diverse range of books and authors.
Click here to see our WJS Reading Spine 2023